Post by drmemory on Aug 8, 2021 1:09:28 GMT
I apologize in advance if I say things that someone else has already said. I lost interest and heart during the whole Tony plotline, and still don't really care too much for anything relating to Paz. However, the current developments are much more interesting to me! So I've been pondering Aata. Or, Evil Buddha (EB) as I like to think of him.
It's clear that he's been a major force behind the scenes for all of this (meaning, the entire run of the story). There was some foreshadowing:
- Him showing up randomly for things.
- Him always being there and visibly in charge when the shadow men did anything interesting, such as the power plant stuff and the earlier pursuit of Jack.
- Him stealing the tooth from Annie and not allowing her to have it back until he and his drones were about to enter the forest to treat with Loup. Rude.
- Him initiating the effort to determine Annie's mental state and being the one that Jones reports to. Have we ever seen Jones report to anyone else?
I suggest that a few more things may also be laid at his feet. He seems very much into humans getting all the power. So...
- Why does "the court" find robots getting closer to humans distasteful? Aata the human supremacist, who is either in charge of it all or at least on the board of directors.
- Coyote specifically stated that Aata was at least partially behind the trap set for Reynard, and that it was an earlier attempt to steal Coyote's powers. So I wonder how much else of what's gone on is part of this long-term effort?
- The machine that looks into the unknown world... how did they know how to make such a thing? Who do we know that can manifest in the ether that might know how to go about it? Aata, of course. EB is behind Omega, but it remains to see why or in what measure.
I'm sure I've missed things, but he's been a sort of low-interest background character for a long time and I've always worried about him a bit. He reminds me of Goebbels. I am NOT saying I think he's a Nazi, but I am certainly saying he's a schemer and manipulator who will stop at nothing to get his way. Trick a peaceful fox into murdering a human so he can be trapped and his power extracted? Sure! Try to steal all of Coyote's power, in his very forest? Let's do that! etc... I'm not seeing a lot of ethics here, nor compassion.
- Is he the (or a) big bad or is there someone worse behind him? Or maybe a committee? If he is the chair of the committee, the rest even matter?
- What is his endgame with Coyote's power? Using it to benefit all of humankind seems far more altruistic that I would expect from him, based on what we've been shown.
- How old is he? I suspect he's been around since the Court started somehow, though I can't really justify it yet. Just a feeling.
- Is he human? Or at least once-human? Could he be a creation of Diego? Coyote's "Beautiful failure" non-explanation really bugs me. Perhaps he will "sproing" when Loup spears him with wood, if he doesn't just block it with his powers.
We already know that the shadow men organization is separate from the part of the Court that runs a school, but should EB perhaps belong in the Creatures section of the Cast page?
I'm not going to touch the speculation on current and upcoming events here - I'm more interested in EB's provenance, long-term history, and plans. Plus, I think that stuff is well-covered by others.